London Summer Arbitration School 2022
The London Summer Arbitration School will bring together leading practitioners, academics and representatives of arbitral institutions. The school will take place on 20-24 June 2022 at the Bush House, Aldwych.
While many are familiar with the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), fewer practitioners know about more specialised areas of international arbitration. For example, the number of maritime arbitrations administered by the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) actually exceeds the number of commercial proceedings handled by LCIA. Most of disputes resolved by arbitration have an international element.
Building on the success of the Basel Winter Arbitration School, the London Summer Arbitration School will feature an interactive five-day programme introducing participants not only to commercial arbitration, but also to less well-known types of arbitration such as maritime, construction and commodities arbitration. The participants will also engage in discussion of related career and business development opportunities with practitioners and representatives of institutions.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Prof. Dr. Eyal Benvenisti – Whewell Professor of International law and the Director of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge
- James Clanchy, FCIArb – Full-time arbitrator in independent practice and Honorary Secretary of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA)
- Lucy Greenwood, C.Arb – Independent arbitrator, founder of the Campaign for Greener Arbitrations.
- Prof. Dr. Jacomijn van Haersolte-van Hof, LL.M. (Leiden) – Director General of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Meg Kinnear, LL.M. (Virginia) – Secretary-General of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Prof. Dr. Yarik Kryvoi, LL.M. (Harvard) – Senior Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Prof. Dr. iur. Anna Petrig, LL.M. (Harvard) – Chair of International Law and Public Law at the University of Basel in Switzerland
- David Scorey QC, LL.M. (Leiden) – Barrister with Essex Court Chambers, Chairman of ARIAS (UK), the Insurance and Reinsurance Arbitration Society
- Jonathan Waters, LL.M. (Leicester) – General Counsel of the Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA)
Full bios of faculty members are available here.
The school curriculum will cover the following topics:
- ad hoc arbitration
- maritime arbitration
- construction arbitration
- commodities arbitration
- commercial arbitration
- ethics in international arbitration
- finance & insurance arbitration
- climate change arbitration
- outer space arbitration
- investor-state arbitration
- relationship between arbitral tribunals and domestic courts.
In addition, it will include a class on oral & written advocacy skills and a panel on careers in international arbitration with senior London-based practitioners.
Please read more and apply by 8 May 2022 here.