Two Positions as Research Associates (100% and 50%)
Opening for two Research Associates (legal translation/international relations) at the Federal Constitutional Court
In the context of strengthening the international dimension of its work, the Federal Constitutional Court is offering two temporary positions for research associates (German federal salary grade E 14 [TVöD-Bund]) for a fixed term of two years starting as soon as possible (one full-time and one part-time (50%) position).
The Court is aiming to further improve access to its work in the English-speaking world, primarily through the translation of relevant decisions. The positions will provide the successful candidates with extensive insights into the work of the Federal Constitutional Court.
Qualifications and skills:
- a university degree in law or another subject and above-average grades (the minimum requirement within the German system is an overall grade of befriedigend; if you obtained your degree outside Germany, the overall grade must be equivalent to befriedigend or better),
- excellent command of both English and German (written test during the selection process),
- proficiency and interest in comparative law,
- excellent knowledge of German constitutional law as well as of German and English constitutional law terminology.
Particular consideration will be given to applicants with prior experience in legal translation and experience in both the German and an English-speaking legal system.
- translating decisions, press releases and other publications of the Federal Constitutional Court from German into English,
- selecting, preparing and translating key decisions from the Court’s 70-year history,
- preparing translations for the relaunch of the Court’s website,
- proof-reading and revising English translations with a focus on legal issues,
- drafting English-language texts to disseminate the Federal Constitutional Court’s jurisprudence abroad,
- monitoring relevant international developments in constitutional law (especially court decisions) and communicating such developments internally.
Part-time employment is generally also possible for the full-time position; please indicate your preferred hours of work in your application.
Please note that applications will only be considered if they are complete.
Applications must include a cover letter, CV, copies of academic certificates and diplomas and, where applicable, employer references and further training certificates.
If you obtained your degree abroad, please enclose a statement of comparability issued by the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB). For further information, please visit www.kmk.org/zab.
The Federal Constitutional Court is committed to promoting equal opportunities for employees with disabilities and welcomes applications from persons with disabilities. The Court ensures equal treatment for all employees, regardless of gender identity.
If you have a disability or equivalent status, please indicate this in your cover letter and enclose the required documentation.
Please send your application (quoting the reference number 13.09/2021) by 10 November 2021 to:
– Referat Z 2 –
For information about the position itself, please contact Dr Böckel (+49 (0) 721 9101 395). Questions relating to the application process should be directed to Ms Rudolf (+49 (0) 721 9101 414).
The Federal Constitutional Court will process your data only for the purpose of this application process. Further information regarding the protection of your personal data (Arts. 13 and 14 GDPR) can be found in our data protection statement, which is available online under “Data protection statement”. You may also request a paper copy of the data protection statement.
For more information about the Federal Constitutional Court, please refer to the Court’s website at www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de.