One Position as Research Associate at the Federal Constitutional Court (m/f/d) (100%-50%)
In order to advance its international work, the Federal Constitutional Court is offering a temporary position (full-time; German federal salary grade 14 [TVöD-Bund]) for a research associate (starting date: as soon as possible; fixed-term until 31 March 2022). The Court aims to improve access to its work in the English-speaking world – particularly by translating relevant decisions. The position will provide the successful applicant with extensive insights into the work of the Federal Constitutional Court.
Qualifications and skills:
- an above-average university degree in law (the minimum requirement within the German system of legal education is an overall mark of “befriedigend” or better; the overall mark of a foreign law degree should be equivalent to “befriedigend” – transcript of records may be required),
- excellent knowledge of both English (written test during the selection process) and German,
- skills and interest in comparative law,
- excellent knowledge of German constitutional law as well as of German and English constitutional law terminology.
Particular consideration will be given to applicants with prior experience in legal translating and with experience in the German and an English-speaking legal system.
- translating decisions, press releases and publications of the Federal Constitutional Court from German to English,
- proof-reading and revising German to English translations with a focus on legal accuracy,
- drafting English-language texts to disseminate the Federal Constitutional Court’s jurisprudence abroad,
- following relevant international developments in constitutional law, particularly court decisions, and communicating such developments internally.
Part-time employment is generally possible if qualified applicants wishing to work part-time share the position. Please indicate your preferred hours in your application.
The Federal Constitutional Court is particularly committed to achieving equality between employees with and without severe disabilities and therefore welcomes applications from persons with severe disabilities. The Court ensures gender equality and equal treatment for all.
Please send your application (with your complete application documents and quoting the reference number 1.08/2019) by 30 September 2019 to:
– Referat Z 2 –
For information about the position itself, please contact Dr Böckel (email: protokoll@bun- desverfassungsgericht.de, phone: +49 (0) 721 9101 395). Questions relating to the application process should be directed to Ms Rudolf (phone: +49 (0) 721 9101 414).
The Federal Constitutional Court will process your transferred personal data only for the pur- pose of this application process. Further information regarding the protection of your personal data (Articles 13 and 14 of the General Date Protection Regulation) can be found in our data protection statement, which is available online (https://www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/Datenschutzerklärung.html). A paper copy of this information is available on request.
Further information here