See all events
The Role of the European Court of Human Rights and the Council of Europe in Armed Conflicts
Wednesday 21st October, 3:00pm BST (16:00 Uhr MESZ)
Hundreds of applications land at the European Court of Human Rights during and in
the aftermath of military confrontations between the member states and as a result
of military operations of the member states overseas. This webinar will consider if
the European Court of Human Rights and the Council of Europe can do anything to
prevent human rights violations before, during and after military interventions.
Chair: Dr Vassilis Tzevelekos (University of Liverpool)
- Dr Aurel Sari (University of Exeter): Overreach: Should the ECHR apply to theBattlefield?
- Prof KanstantsinDzehtsiarou (University of Liverpool):Why Are the Court’s Interim Measures During Armed Conflicts Controversial?
- Dr Isabella Risini (Ruhr-University Bochum): The strengths and limitations of inter-State proceedings under the ECHR in cases related to military confrontation.
- Dr Jane Rooney (University of Durham): Hanan v Germany: A Re-Evaluation of Extraterritorial Airstrikes at the European Court of Human Rights?
- Andrew Forde (NUI Galway): In Pursuit of Effectiveness: The Role of the ECHR System in Contested Territories
Zoom Link: https://liverpool-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/93105407552?pwd=QmlWWE80NVFvVlZQM21hZnZNZ0RPdz09
Liverpool Law School, International Law and Human Rights Unit