One Five-Year Research Fellowship (100%)
Reference No: 2022/199
Zukunftskolleg, University of Konstanz
The preferred start date is June 1st, 2023. In principle, the position can be divided into two half-time positions.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The Zukunftskolleg is an Institute for Advanced Study for early career researchers in the natural sciences, humanities and social sciences. It is a central component of the university’s strategy“creative.together“. The Zukunftskolleg promotes interdisciplinary discourse between distinguished researchers from Germany and abroad, and provides them
with the resources to conduct their research independently and free from administrative constraints. The working language is English.
Each fellow is a member of both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg. Additionally, fellows of the Zukunftskolleg can be affiliated to the Clusters of Excellence at the University of Konstanz: „Politics of Inequality“ or „Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour“.
These Fellowships are available to researchers characterized by a strong and creative mind, an ability to think and communicate beyond their own disciplines, regardless of their nationality. The applications are evaluated in a three-stage process by international reviewers. The personal assessment of the finalists will take place at a Workshop on Future Directions, to be held at the University of Konstanz in March 2023.
- Develop and implement your research project
- Build up your own research group
- You are expected to participate actively in the regular weekly meetings of the Zukunftskolleg (and/or the respective Cluster of Excellence) and to contribute to the Zukunftskolleg in creating a team of exciting interdisciplinary postdoctoral researchers
- Have your place of residence in Konstanz or its surroundings
- You should be in possession of a doctoral degree granted between October 31, 2017 and December 31, 2022. Earlier graduation dates can be accepted in case of maternity/paternity leave, or working contracts outside academia
- You should not hold a permanent professorship, or have a habilitation or equivalent (Venia legendi)
- Applicants must have applied for a research group grant of at least 50,000 € or an equivalent amount of funding. This external grant should be used to build their own research group while at the Zukunftskolleg, and should be obtained in a competitive process. A Fellowship offer is conditional on the approval of the external grant application.
- Applicants must propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the University of Konstanz. They are invited to include in their motivation letter a reflection note on how their research relates to the 17 SDGs of the UN
- Applicants should contact potential Local Academic Partners among the researchers at the University of Konstanz in order to ensure appropriate affiliation. Support from a department strengthens the application. All these requirements have to be fulfilled at the application deadline (October 31, 2022).
- International experience in teaching or research, and a strong interest in interdisciplinary topics are desirable.
- Professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research
- Start-up Funding and an individual Research Allowance
- Access to a pool for funding cooperative projects, research assistants, travel, and equipment purchases
- Funds for mutual research visits to international collaborators
- The possibility of attracting senior research partners to Konstanz through the senior fellowship and the mentorship program
- The opportunity to benefit from a variety of career development measures, including the University of Konstanz’s Academic Staff Development and Research Support offices
- No teaching obligation, but an opportunity to do so in collaboration with your department at the University of Konstanz
- An international and interdisciplinary community of peers.
More information on the Zukunftskolleg and current Fellows, as well as a special section devoted to the application and selection process (online application process, required documents, guidelines on eligibility, evaluation criteria, the timeline and the stages of the selection process) are available on our website.
All applications and supporting materials (letter of motivation, research proposal, curriculum vitae, writing sample and two letters of reference) must be submitted in English via the Online Application Platform including reference number 2022 / 199.
Questions can be directed via e-mail to: email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application until 31 October 2022, 11:00 am (Konstanz time).